Barack Hussein Obama is not only the most radical, incompetent, and leftist president we’ve ever had, but he is also one of the most dangerous. His unilateral approach to drastically reduce America’s nuclear missiles arsenal and abandon key missile defense capabilities both in Europe and at home, are not just criminally reckless, but downright suicidal.
The latest attempt by Obama to destroy America’s nuclear defense and strike capabilities is detailed in the president’s New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New-START) with Russia, that he signed in April of 2010.
Mitt Romney concludes that “New-START gives Russia a massive nuclear weapon advantage over the United States.” The various provisions of this nuclear weapons “treaty” will not only undermine America’s nuclear capabilities, but also prevent America from properly developing its arsenal while giving Russia an overwhelming and unfair advantage. According to Mitt, the New-START agreement:
- impedes missile defense, our protection from nuclear-proliferating rogue states such as Iran and North Korea [or future unfriendly nuclear capable regimes]
- explicitly forbids the United States from converting intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) silos into missile defense sites
- permits Russia the right to walk away from the treaty if it believes that the United States has significantly increased its missile defense capability
- forces America to get Russia’s permission for any missile defense expansion, in order to preserve the treaty’s restrictions on Russia
- empowers a Bilateral Consultative Commission with broad latitude to amend the treaty with specific reference to missile defense [in essence giving Russia power over America’s missile defense capabilities]
- lets Russia escape the limit on its number of strategic nuclear warheads. Loopholes and lapses – presumably carefully crafted by Moscow – provide a path to entirely avoid the advertised warhead-reduction targets
- forces the United States to drastically reduce its number of missile launchers while allowing Russia to maintain its current arsenal
- fails to apply the MIRV limits that were part of the prior START treaty, just as Russia is developing a new heavy-load, MIRV-capable ICBM
- forces America to reduce strategic weapons from approximately 2,200 to 1,550 but fails to mention that Russia will retain more than 10,000 nuclear warheads that are categorized as tactical because they are mounted on missiles that cannot reach the United States
- gives Russia a massive nuclear advantage over the United States, ignoring tactical nukes where Russia outnumbers us by as much as 10-to-1
What kind of president would do such a thing? Is Obama completely insane, or just suicidal?
Whatever the reason for the treaty’s failings, it must not be ratified: The security of the United States is at stake. The only responsible course is for the Senate to demand and scrutinize the full diplomatic record underlying the treaty. Then it must insist that any linkage between the treaty and our missile defense system be eliminated. In a world where nuclear weapons are proliferating, America’s missile defense shield must not be compromised.
HT: Washington Post